Event Day Volunteer
Apply by October 13, 2019 to be considered.
- We are seeking volunteers to help out with a recognized, thought-provoking and unique event – TEDxMcMasterU. The 2019 event’s theme is AMBITION.
- TEDxMcMasterU is a great opportunity to gain reputable experience by participating in a meaningful community event with a globally recognized brand.
- The event is entirely non-profit and organized by the passion of volunteers, including the executive committee. We are looking for additional volunteers who are interested in helping out in a variety of roles as below.
- Volunteers will be required to attend at least one training session prior to event day.
- Volunteers will be scheduled for shifts on event day (Friday December 13th), and/or on set-up / dry run day (Thursday December 12th) at times convenient for the volunteer.
- All volunteers will receive complimentary admission to TEDxMcMasterU, enjoy the speakers and participate in the events of the day outside their volunteer shift hours.
- Areas in need of volunteers are listed below. Volunteers may be assigned to any area. If you have a particular preference or aversion to an area, please let us know in your application.
Back of House Volunteer Areas – coordinated by Back of House Director
o A/V support
Assist as needed with lighting, mics, presentations, computers, screens, projectors, etc.
o Talent management
Help direct talent – where to go, where they can store their items, when they need to go on stage, etc.
Assist performers, speakers, emcee with technical needs.
o Photography & videography support
Assist photographers and videographers as they may require.
E.g., videographer may want to document participants at the event and may require a volunteer to interview participants, documentary / reporter style.
o Hair & make up
Assist with hair & makeup for presenters as needed. This position requires prior styling experience, please indicate how you meet this requirement in your application.
o General back of house support
Help set up / tear down of stage design as needed.
Help set up / tear down A/V or stage related items for post-event social as needed.
Any other general operations & logistics help that may be requested by the Back of House Director.
Front of House Volunteer Areas – coordinated by Front of House Director
o Food & beverage
Help ensure buffet includes all items required, such as allergy signage, cutlery/plates, food & beverages.
Help direct caterers on the day as needed with directions, set-up or tear-down.
Direct participants and speakers throughout the day, answer general questions about the schedule or where things are, assist with seating, help ensure food & beverage is not brought into the auditorium, help ensure that only registered participants are allowed into the event.
o Registration desk
Assist with attendee registration, cross-reference attendees with guest list, hand out name tags and swag, assist with latecomer registration.
o Sponsors / partner booths
Some sponsors / partners will be setting up a small booth outside the auditorium to showcase their organization.
Assist sponsors / partners with the set-up of their booths.
o General front of house support
Help set up / tear down tables outside the auditorium for registration, catering, meals, and partner/sponsors.
Help set up / tear down tables for post-event social.
Any other general help that may be requested by the Front of House Director.
- Reliable, dependable and flexible individual.
- Demonstrated maturity and positive attitude.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Friendly, approachable, and collaborative personality.
- Prior volunteer or event experience is a bonus.